guix-devel

Re: Reorganizing guix package commands

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Reorganizing guix package commands
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:34:26 -0400

> address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer") skribis:
>
>> As an example of the pedagogic benefit of categorizing the commands:
>> many users coming from other package managers are confused as to what
>> exactly "installing" a package is in Guix.  It actually consists of two
>> steps, 1. to ensure the package is in the store (by building or
>> downloading), and 2. adding it to the user's profile.  But the term
>> "install" doesn't reflect this, and makes users think in terms of
>> traditional package managers where installing a package means putting
>> its files into /usr.  Introducing newcomers to a command like 'guix
>> profile add' as the primary means of adding a package to their
>> environment, and briefly explaining the "transparently makes sure the
>> package is in the store" part, would have them immediately learn one of
>> the basic working principles of Guix.
>
> Good point, I like it.  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Yes, we should help newcomers delve into Guix.

But a strangely named install instruction is not an effective way to
accomplish this. We should find a better way.

How about an animation of the processes you describe on the status line?

Then a newcomer can learn while waiting for the software to install :-)

The best way to make it easy for newcomers to see this animation is to
give them what they expect -- an instruction named 'guix install'.