guix-devel

Re: hydra jobset timeout

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: hydra jobset timeout
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:52:13 +0200

address@hidden (宋文武) skribis:

>>> Hi!  With the help of ‘guix refresh -t gnome’ I update many GNOME
>>> packages to latest (the 3.20 release) in the ‘gnome-updates’ branch.
>>>
>>> Also:
>>>   glib: Disable tests in build phases instead of patches.
>>>   gtk+: Enable SVG support. (by using gdk-pixbuf+svg)
>>>   gtk+-2: Look in system data dirs for themes. (by Jookia)
>>>
>>> I have build some packages locally (nautilus, gnome-terminal) but not
>>> all,  I request to start a job for it on hydra.
>>
>> I think the non-trivial changes have already been discussed and LGTM.
>>
>> I’ve started a jobset: <https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/gnome-updates>.
>> Please keep an eye on it (M-x guix-hydra-jobsets FTW! :-)) and check for
>> build failures.  You can merge it as soon as it’s built, if nobody
>> objects.
>
> Thanks!  but the jobset get:
> hydra-eval-guile-jobs returned signal -1:
> timeout

Indeed, this is a bit embarrassing, but the graft code was causing
things to be built during the evaluation, which is why it took so long
(Mark had noticed it a while back, in fact.)  Commit
9c3bb4c54d67899394af81c819fe60f391e35edf fixes it.

Also, “make hydra-jobs.scm” now reproduces the evaluation step that
happens on Hydra and catches problems like this one (note to Mathieu:
take a look at this, will be helpful for your project ;-)).  It runs in
~8 minutes on my laptop.

Next time something goes wrong on Hydra, this will facilitate debugging.
It will also help profile things.

Ludo’.