guix-devel

Re: Yet another Hydra mirror: hydra-mirror.marusich.info

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Yet another Hydra mirror: hydra-mirror.marusich.info
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 21:56:54 -0700

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've set up a caching proxy to serve substitutes from Hydra. If you want
>> to use it, it's available here:
>>
>> http://hydra-mirror.marusich.info
>>
>> Behind the scenes, this endpoint is set up to distribute hydra.gnu.org's
>> substitutes via Amazon CloudFront, which is a global content
>> distribution network with points of presence in the United States,
>> Europe, Asia, and South America. That means that almost no matter where
>> you are, if your neighbor uses it to download substitutes, then you'll
>> be able to download the same cached substitutes quickly from a nearby
>> location.
>>
>> I'm making this mirror available to you in the hopes that you find it
>> useful. Please note that I make no guarantee about the continued
>> availability of the endpoint, so please don't rely on it for anything
>> important. Amazon CloudFront bills me for only the requests received and
>> bytes transferred via the endpoint, so the more people who use it, the
>> more it will cost. I reserve the right to disable it without prior
>> notice if it becomes too expensive.
>>
>> Full disclosure: I'm employed by Amazon. However, I'm paying for this
>> mirror out of my own pocket. I'm personally making it available to you
>> because I like the Guix project a lot, and I want to help it in any way
>> I can. I do not represent Amazon, nor does the mirror, which I am
>> operating personally just like any other CloudFront customer.
>>
>> I hope you find this mirror useful.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Hi,
>
> since you posted this some time has passed, about a month now.
>
> Could you tell me how much in- and outbound traffic it consumed
> (separate values if possible)? I'm taking in consideration for
> current moving situation if it will be mirror now or buildserver
> later that I will be testing with and include in my setup.

Sure!  Since it only services reads, there is no in-traffic, only
out-traffic.  Since 2016-03-06, I've observed a modest total of 12.2 GB
of data transferred, of which 10.8 GB came from cache misses.  The cache
misses are likely due to the fact that I'm the only one currently using
it.

Most of the time, daily traffic is quite low.  Sometimes, it spikes to
about 3-4 GB in a single day.  That probably corresponds to times when I
installed or upgraded GuixSD.

--
Chris