guix-devel

Re: Call for testing

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Call for testing
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:44:24 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

>>   - Please provide and suggest tested desktop.scm and server.scm
>
> Yeah, though each person has their own idea of what “server” or
> “desktop” means

Sure, it would help with bug reports like mine... Can you try the
plain xxx.scm?

>>     It would be nice if an install was possible without network, e.g.
>>     server.scm/minimal.scm.
>
> Yes, though again it’s difficult because any change in the config may
> lead to additional downloads.

Exactly, even more difficult for a user to determine.  Just a
suggestion.

> So you did a ‘guix system init’ that failed with the error above, and
> then you rebooted and got a broken GRUB?

Yes, that has been my perception.

> Unless I’m mistaken, a “build failed” error prevents the rest of the
> installation, including GRUB install, from happening.  Not sure what
> happened.

Yes, that was what I was hoping; quite possibly I goofed up somewhere.
I'm quite terrible at following instructions manually; scripts and
second-tries work magic for me :-)

Greetings,
Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl