guix-devel

Re: Python 3.5 start of update

From: Diane Trout
Subject: Re: Python 3.5 start of update
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 22:51:41 -0800

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me.

> Also, the 'python-minimal' offered by `guix environment python-
> minimal`
> is likely the one that lives on the master branch, deployed by `guix
> pull`, unless you symlinked your git checkout to
> '~/.config/guix/latest'.

I remembered --pure, but I keep forgetting the .config/guix/latest
symlink gets updated fairly frequently.

> Could you try something like this, having checked out the branch
> where
> you are attempting this upgrade:
>
> `~/src/guix/pre-inst-env guix environment --pure python-minimal`
>
> I would suggest '--container' but you'd have to make some changes to
> your system if you are on Debian.

I switched to trying to do this on a GuixSD VM.

With pre-inst-env guix environment --pure python-minimal I managed to
get an environment, and figured out some of the config flags from a run
of guix build python-minimal

Whats output in the build log looks like:

(environment variables setting path to bash that I didn't copy)
--prefix=/gnu/store/wj1b0simlx4s9vdksc297043cg7ah9gf-python-minimal-3.5.1
--enable-shared
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=/gnu/store/wj1b0simlx4s9vdksc297043cg7ah9gf-python-minimal-3.5.1/lib
 --without-system-ffi

Does guix sort the config flags somehow? I wasn't sure if the LDFLAGS
could be defined between --arguments.

I had a list of several things I tried that didn't work but then I
asked why is python-minimal using --without-system-ffi? It occurred to
me to try building it with libffi and --with-system-ffi, and that
wonderfully did build.

I hope this stream of consciousness made some sense. If --without-
system-ffi isn't actually important I can clean up the patch and submit
it after I've gotten some sleep.

(Mostly my previous patch plus commented out the current python-minimal
(arguments...) and adding ("libffi" ,libffi) to the inputs)

Diane