guix-devel

Re: powwow (possibly only manpages / (arguments) question)

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: powwow (possibly only manpages / (arguments) question)
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 21:47:13 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> However, weird enough, during compilation on guix (second output)
>> I encounter an interactive part.
>
> I’d just patch out the line that’s responsible for “Press ENTER to
> continue...”.

Seems like the best way to handle it. on the other hand I know
the person who is hosting the source who is - to my knowledge -
the last remaining upstream of this software and I could patch
out the line AND ask for a patch upstream.
** turns out with the 2010 release there might be still a
maintainer. I'll check it out **

>>     (version "1.2.5")
>
> That’s not the latest version.  Seems that 1.2.14 is the latest.  1.2.5
> was released in 2003, 1.2.14 was released in 2010.

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. There are many changed files
compared to the 1998-2003 version. Whatever applied with the 1998
version, there's now so many changes I do not even need my
setup structure.

>>     (arguments
>>      `(#:make-flags
>>        '("CC=gcc" "CDEFS=-DUSE_REGEXP" "LDFLAGS=-lncurses")
>>        #:tests? #f
>
> You should state why tests are disabled.  Are they broken?  Or do they
> simply not exist?

>From my perspective at 3AM and tunnel visioned with the 1998
version, they simply did not exist, but I will double check
tomorrow. ** read above **

>>                (install-file "catrw" bin)
>>                (install-file "powwow" bin)
>>                (install-file "movie" bin)
>>                (install-file "movie2ascii" bin)
>>                (install-file "movie_play" bin)
>
> How about
>
>     (for-each (cut install-file <> bin)
>               '("catrw" "powwow" "movie" "movie2ascii" "movie_play"))
>
>>                (install-file "README" doc)
>>                (install-file "README.follow" doc)
>>                (install-file "README.term" doc)
>>                (install-file "powwow.doc" doc)
>>                (install-file "powwow.help" doc)
>>                (install-file "Compile.how" doc)
>>                (install-file "Config.demo" doc)
>>                (install-file "COPYING" doc)
>>                (install-file "Changelog" doc)
>>                (install-file "powwow.6" doc))
>
> Likewise:
>
>     (for-each (cut install-file <> doc)
>               '("README"
>                 "README.follow"
>                 "README.term"
>                 ...))
>
> You may need to (use-modules (srfi srfi-26)), which provides the
> immensely useful “cut”.

Thanks for the info, did not know about this. Maybe I should look
into the different srfi's used in guix at some point.

>>              #t)))))
>>     (home-page "http://lavachat.symlynx.com/unix/";)
>>     (synopsis "POWWOW is a MUD client and enhanced telnet client")
>>     (description
>>      "POWWOW is a MUD client which can be used as an enhanced telnet client.
>> Additional configs can be found at http://lavachat.symlynx.com/unix/";)
>>     (license license:gpl2)))
>
> I don’t think the license is correct.  Some files are placed under
> public domain (e.g. “catrw.c” or “movie_play.c”), yet others are placed
> under GPLv2+ (e.g. “cmd.c”).  You should probably do something like
> this:
>
>     ;; The following files are in the public domain:
>     ;;   catrw.c, movie_play.c, ...
>     (license (list license:gpl2+ license:public-domain))
>

> ~~ Ricardo

Ah right, that one I noticed after sending out the Email, the
original software powwow is based on was placed into the public
domain, powwow was explicitly put under GPL2.

You seem to know more about spotting licenses by their
structure and in general. There are files which are GPL2 and
there are files which are GPL2+... How do I handle the occurence
of GPL2 and GPL2+ in sources? I guess I need to name all files
which carry gpl2, all which are public domain, and then "the rest
is GPL2+" or something similar?

thanks for helping,
--
ng
irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/~NiAsterisk