guix-devel

Re: Is anybody working on a go build system in guix?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Is anybody working on a go build system in guix?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 21:12:42 +0200

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:36:56 -0500
Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 03:59:49PM -0500, Thompson, David wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I have lately looked closer at IPFS and I would like to compile and run it
> > > on GuixSD but don't know how to succeed without a build system.
> >
> > We would need a Go toolchain first.  I recall at least two people
> > trying to package Go but no patches have shown up here.  Seems it's
> > not a straightforward process.
>
> IIRC, Efraim and "codemacs" (from IRC) have mentioned working on this.
> My impression is that it's getting very close, but you may want to ask
> them if they want help.

I've attached what my current go patches are. Here[1] is codemac's go packages.

quoting codemac from mid-january:

They still fail if you ever link against anything that dynamically links
against glibc. This means any go program that uses the net, os/user,
runtime or cgo packages fail to execute complaining they can't find
libgcc_s. I've tried just about everything imagineable, and it's unclear
to me how the nix gcc + glibc packages differ from the guix ones.

I'd love help / suggestions, I use golang at my day job so I'm motivated
to get this fixed. I have a pretty good idea of what the go package
system could look like for guix without us distributing PILES of
statically linked go poop as well, but that's a separate discussion.

I haven't tested it so much yet, never actually coded in go. Tzdata is
bundled, but it wouldn't be the only program we have with tzdata being
bundled, and after codemac's issues with go programs after replacing it, I'm
not really in a rush to do so.

1: https://github.com/codemac/guix-pkgs/blob/master/tmp/codemac/packages/go.scm

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר