guix-devel

Re: Guix on Mobile (Was: Interest check: U-Boot bootloader support)

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Guix on Mobile (Was: Interest check: U-Boot bootloader support)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 22:12:36 +0100

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 09:17:56PM +0100, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> That said, on the general interest: guix is already slooow on a fairly modern
> X200. If that ran on an armv7, it would probably be much slower. Not fun.
> But might be worth a try. Did someone try the non-GuixSD armv7 thing? Is the
> speed acceptable?

I am running it over Debian on my Novena, where it is quite usable - this is
the machine from which I am writing this e-mail! I do not know whether it is
actually slower than on the X200. The four cores help; in the background
I am building Qt, and the machine is still usable. In any case, there is
no reason that Guix(SD) should be slower than any other GNU/Linux distribution.

I also tried KDE, which I found too slow; under Xfce, I am quite happy.
(Of course, I am using substitutes.)

Andreas