guix-devel

Re: Package transformations

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Package transformations
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 22:35:17 +0100

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I’ve pushed my “train hacks”, which are a continuation of refactoring
>> work I had done in December (ca. 64ec0e2):
>>
>>   • ‘guix build’ has a new ‘--with-input’ option to rewrite the
>>     dependency graph so you can run:
>>
>>       guix build guix --with-input=guile=guile-next
>>
>>     and guess what it does.  :-)
>>
>>     However, it only works for explicit inputs.
>
> What does it mean that it only works for *explicit* inputs?  Does this
> mean that default inputs added by the build system (e.g. GCC) cannot be
> replaced?

Exactly.

Eventually we should permit it as well but as you know, it’s currently
less convenient to fiddle with implicit inputs than with explicit inputs
(see ‘package-with-explicit-inputs’ and co.)  We should improve the API
in this regard.

> Looking at the code it seems that it is operating on labels.

No, ‘transform-package-inputs’ in (guix scripts build) matches packages
by name, not by label, for the reasons you gave.  Maybe the doc should
be clarified?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.