guix-devel

Re: PulseAudio

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: PulseAudio
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 08:38:55 +0100

Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Ricardo Wurmus writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> I use it all the time and it works, except for IceCat & co. as Chris
>>> notes, which try to use ALSA directly.
>>
>> Does this mean you do not hear sound coming from IceCat and its plugins
>> with the example desktop system configuration?
>
> This is my experience too: works lovely for things like VLC, but not so
> much for IceCat.

How strange!  Do you have a configuration file “~/.asoundrc” or
“/etc/asound.conf” that reroutes ALSA to PulseAudio?

I’m not using PulseAudio on GuixSD and I have sound in media players and
browser alike.

~~ Ricardo

PS: don’t think I’m blocking the use of PulseAudio.  If it works with PA
when built with the PA libs (and doesn’t work without it), then it’s
fine to make a dependency on the PA libs, of course.  I’m just curious
to learn why rerouting ALSA to PA doesn’t work — because rerouting is
the recommended way to get plain ALSA programmes to work nice with PA.