guix-devel

Re: GStreamer, PulseAudio and libvpx update

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: GStreamer, PulseAudio and libvpx update
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 13:07:56 +0200

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 11:25:22 +0100
Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 12:23:24PM +0800, 宋文武 wrote:
>  [...]
>
> I noticed you merged master into the branch. My opinion is that merging
> instead of rebasing messes up the history and makes it rather unclear
> what the differences in this branch are. So I would suggest the following:
> Delete the branch, create a branch "wip-gstreamer" from security-updates
> (not master!), try to build a few packages; after security-updates has been
> applied to master, rebase wip-gstreamer and have it built by hydra.
>
> Right now, the priority clearly is to finish security-updates, and we
> cannot afford to build a second branch in parallel.
>
> Are these four updates independent? Should they all be built together,
> or should we do them one by one? Only 19 packages depend on ao, only 29 on
> libvpx, so these could be done separately. Could they even go to master,
> or do they depend on gstreamer (or pulseaudio) being updated first?
> pulseaudio has 162 dependent packages, so even these could maybe be built
> separately (where by "separately" I mean in a different evaluation).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Andreas

They should all be independant, and AFAIK even the gstreamer updates can be
independant of each other. The problem I ran into before was that
gst-plugins-good didn't compile correctly after updating some of the others.

That said, I think it would be worth it to try to pick off some of the
updates and see if they can be applied without breakage, so I'll see about
again while security-updates get built.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר