guix-devel

Re: Guix website

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix website
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:42:44 -0500

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 12:18:41PM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> I just had a look at the Guix website and it appears to advertise
> liberating, dependable and hackable.
>
> Now I am not going to say this is bad, it appeals to *me*, but it does
> address hackers more than system administrators who ought to switch to
> GNU Guix. The man who wrote this
>

> http://www.vitavonni.de/blog/201503/2015031201-the-sad-state-of-sysadmin-in-the-age-of-containers.html
>
> should have mentioned Guix. Right?
>
> So, what can we change to attract the right crowd? I strongly suggest
> to weigh in on 'reproducible software deployment', security and
> certification.
>
> What do you think? Can we first and foremost pitch reproducibility?
> More and more people will start to understand the binary installation
> problem and look for *real* solutions that can handle complexity. They
> will come to us and tell their *hackers* to look into it ;)

After the last exchange on help-guix, I think you are right. We really
need to do more to explain what Guix can do.

Hackability and dependability only go together because of the
architecture of the system. As for liberating, I think of the ideas of
negative and positive liberty. Positive liberty in this case ==
hackability.

Some of the video-recorded presentations have been a very nice
introduction. Perhaps we could embed one on the home-page. If we do
that, I could help transcribe it, with the slides embedded, to increase
accessibility.