guix-devel

Re: Packagers tutorial, deployment tutorial

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Packagers tutorial, deployment tutorial
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 16:58:15 -0600

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Anyway, I don't hear much enthusiasm for such a project.
>
> I think I insisted too much on my concerns, making it sound negative;
> sorry about that.
>
> I am definitely enthusiastic about improving documentation.  I think
> there’s some consensus that the manual in its current form is
> insufficient, so efforts in that direction are more than welcome!
>
> Ludo’.

Yes, I just had conversations with one person today who was frustrated
trying to learn how to build their first package and lamenting the lack
of an official tutorial.

I'd love to see something more tutorial'y.  I'd be happy to provide some
feedback to it.

As for format to use, Pjotr, have you considered using Skribilo?

  http://www.nongnu.org/skribilo/

It has the advantage of being written in Guile, having nice HTML and
Texinfo exports, having an orgmode-like reader (a bit less powerful but
still nice), and having a delightful sk-expressions format with Skribe
(I was totally skeptical of sk-expressions but am now 100% on board).

  https://notabug.org/cwebber/guile-tutorial/

I've been really enjoying it.

Anyway, yes, please do work on these tutorials! :)
 - Chris