guix-devel

Re: Services and packages in GuixSD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Services and packages in GuixSD
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:54:17 +0200

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tue 25 Aug 2015 22:36, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> However, the above means that the
>> reconfigure-but-don’t-switch-until-reboot behavior would no longer be
>> possible.
>
> Not sure what this case is for -- either you want to expose the newly
> reconfigured apps to the user or you don't, right?  In the former case
> it seems that really what you want is to prepare everything for reboot
> but only switch the profile on boot.  Dunno, I don't have the tao of
> guix yet :)

It can be useful if you want to install a new configuration to make it
effective at the next reboot, but don’t want to make any change until
then.

Dunno, maybe this is a uncommon use case, but I think it’s good if we
make connections between various components explicit rather than
implicit.

Thanks,
Ludo’.