guix-devel

Re: elogind status

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: elogind status
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 23:19:23 +0800

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi :)
>
> [...]
>
> The result is https://github.com/andywingo/elogind.  It provides:
>
>   * a logind-compatible API with a different library name, libelogind
>
>   * a pkg-config file, libelogind.pc
>
>   * a daemon, elogind
>
>   * a PAM module, pam_elogind.so
>
>   * a query/control utility, loginctl
>
> It might be worth it to install more compatibility interfaces for
> systemd, e.g. libsystemd.so, or a symlink for <systemd/sd-login.h> to go
> to <elogind/sd-login.h>.  Or perhaps we should just provide the systemd
> header files with the systemd names.  In practice this means that
> building packages that use the C interfaces need a bit more munging in
> Guix to replace names.
Yeah, as seen in your polkit patch.

> In the patches I sent to this list, we have also a service which runs
> elogind, and the facilities to integrate pam_elogind.so with the rest of
> the system.  The PAM integration is really horrible and I'd be
> interested in other options; see footnote for my os-config.scm.
>
> Upstream logind integrates with systemd to ensure that user sessions are
> run in cgroups, which is a pretty neat feature.  They manage cgroups
> with a hierarchical "slice" abstraction.  Perhaps DMD should do this at
> some point.  Using cgroups also lets logind know when a process was
> started by a user but the user has logged out, and optionally lets the
> administrator kill user processes when they log out.  So, elogind will
> expose information about users, sessions, and seats, but for now not
> slices.  Most logind users don't care so this is OK.
Thanks for the detail explaination, maybe we can use cgmanager somehow
later: <https://github.com/lxc/cgmanager>

> Andy
>
> [*] Configuring elogind
> [...]
> It's a bit of a cross-cutting concern and I don't know what to do about
> it exactly.  But, with all of this, and the patches I have sent,
> pam_elogind.so does tell logind about users.  I rewired polkit to use
> elogind for console information but I haven't tried going back up the
> stack to get a GNOME session.  Future work, I guess, and help is very
> much welcome :)  If you are interested in hacking on elogind I am sure
> you will find things to do.  Let me know and I'll add you to the
> maintainers.
I follow the config, and get elogind running up.
The pam, seat and session things work,
I can use loginctl or call the dbus method to switch between sessions.
But the reboot and poweroff don't work, which turn out to run the
systemd special target ;-