guix-devel

Re: Texinfo in descriptions?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Texinfo in descriptions?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 15:35:55 +0200

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

> As much as I would appreciate texinfo markup in that context, I think it
> will still confuse our translator friends.  In
> (info "(gettext)Preparing Strings") we can found this:

[...]

> Sure HTML markup will not be pretty, but at least it will not encourage
> people to put lists everywhere (for example for listing features instead
> of describing what the package is doing).

Well, we can email the coordinator asking what they think of this.
Although not my favorite choice, HTML/XML would be fine too, as long as
we restrict ourselves to a clear subset.

(gnu.org actually uses the descriptions from the Womb (like we do), but
adds HTML markup in it:
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-01/msg00074.html>.)

> My secret dream is that descriptions (and their translation) would be
> managed directly in the FSD (Free Software Directory) so that we can
> import those directly and care only about the building and deployment
> process ;).

This has been discussed in the past (‘TODO’ has an item about it.)
Unfortunately, there is currently no way to do it automatically.  I’m
also not sure whether our criteria match theirs.

Thanks,
Ludo’.