guix-devel

Re: Presence of GuixSD as "a Linux"

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: Presence of GuixSD as "a Linux"
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 18:21:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer wrote:

Some pages and documentation of some projects insist on using
terminology such as "a Linux", "Linux distributions", "Linux flavours"
etc. when referring to GNU/Linux systems.

Would the publicity benefits of appearing on such pages outweigh the
harm done by GuixSD appearing as "a Linux"?

IMHO GuixSD is more a platform to build OS. Now it is build with Linux, but I noticed Hurd attempts too or it may "parasite" on another OS. I do not feel it as a GNU/Linux distribution.

Such a case we had recently: Guitarix web page.  Despite having
"GNU/Linux" in the project name, they were unwilling to change mentions
of "a Linux" and "Linux flavours" on their page to GNU/Linux, without
really giving a reason...  Anyone interested might want to check their
mailing list archives; I don't know if perhaps my communication skills
were too bad.

Do not bother people with that - let them use what they want. To understand this, people have to have some level of insight and will. They may grow to that or not.

Taylan

Adam Pribyl