guix-devel

Re: cmake-build-system

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: cmake-build-system
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 06:23:46 +0200

>> I found that setting BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=TRUE helped when the
>> INSTALL_RPATH was also set to contain all inputs, like this:
>>
>>   (string-append "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH="
>>                  (string-join (map (match-lambda
>>                                      ((name . directory)
>>                                       (string-append directory "/lib")))
>>                                    %build-inputs) ";"))
>
> Ideally we would never have to do this because ld-wrapper is supposed to
> take care of that.
>
> This is in powertabeditor, right?  What happens if you build it without
> this and with VERBOSE=1 (as a ‘make’ variable) and
> GUIX_LD_WRAPPER_DEBUG=1 (environment variable)?  I would like to see
> where the -rpath get lost or overwritten.

This is in powertabeditor and shogun, and possibly yet another package I
had been working on which I cannot find at the moment.  I can try with
the suggested settings to see where the rpath gets lots.

>> The attached patch only adds BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=TRUE.  I’m not
>> sure if this is sufficient, but I think it is actually a requirement.
>
> Unfortunately CMake has complex RPATH handling and it seems to resist
> us.  It would be good to see, taking powertabeditor as an example, how
> we can achieve better results.  I don’t know whether
> BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH=TRUE is necessary, but I think we must first
> better understand what’s going on.

Okay, I’ll try the above some time and try to figure out what’s going
on, then report back.

~~ Ricardo