guix-devel

Re: Suggest add FAQ documents about integrating with other linux distrib

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Suggest add FAQ documents about integrating with other linux distribution.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 22:02:31 +0800

> "Feng Shu" <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I use guix to build my own version of emacs-snapshot and sawfish, and
>> find some integrate-issue, and suggest add a FAQ to deal with,
>> for example:
>>
>> 1. How to use fonts which is outside guix?
Currently, fontconfig from Guix do not use '/etc/fonts/fonts.conf',
and hardcode ~/.guix-profile/share/fonts (which think is a bad idea).

Yes, as you found, some easy tricks work, I prefer:

  ln -s /path/to/fonts to ~/.local/share/fonts

>> 2. How to use fonts config which is outside guix?
Same as above, the system config is not used now, but
the user config (~/.config/fontconfig) should work.

>> 3. How to use gtk or qt theme similar with outside guix?
For GTK+, there have two parts: theme engines and themes.

It may not be a good idea for guix applications to use the theme engines
in your host system, but well it should work when you set some variable:

  GTK_PATH or GTK_DATA_PREFIX and GTK_EXE_PREFIX