guix-devel

guix build freezes

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: guix build freezes
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 21:50:11 +0200

Hi Guix,

I have a very weird problem that I don't understand.  "./pre-inst-env
guix build" just sits there doing nothing at all:

    address@hidden:/localhome/rwurmus-tmp/guix] (531) $ git describe HEAD
    v0.8.1-1597-g4702cec
    address@hidden:/localhome/rwurmus-tmp/guix] (532) $ time ./pre-inst-env
guix build texlive-texmf-2014
    The following file will be downloaded:
       /gnu/store/h1qjkg8bvcdb485q81lw5844szgywpg7-texlive-texmf-2014
    ^C

    real        13m0.888s
    user        0m3.728s
    sys 0m0.364s

Now using the previously "sudo make install"'d version of Guix:

    address@hidden:/localhome/rwurmus-tmp/guix] (533) $ time guix build
texlive-texmf-2014
    guix build: warning: failed to load '(gnu packages ld-wrapper)':
    ERROR: no code for module (gnu packages ld-wrapper)
    /gnu/store/0zx4rfbf58s0fnh4nzcaajdrfwb1ilv5-texlive-texmf-2014

    real        0m24.060s
    user        0m4.004s
    sys 0m0.541s

I can't really say when I last make install'd, but it was probably
around commit 27350ef8b.

I have a feeling I should do "make clean" again and purge everything,
but I thought I should report this anyway.  I should also note that I
develop Guix on a different machine with the *same* network-mounted home
directory.  On guix-builder I make and make install everything from
within a directory on a local disk, but my actual home directory is the
network share, so I suspect that this could all be explained by sharing
some go caches or so.  Could someone please confirm that this is in fact
what's happening?

~~ Ricardo