guix-devel

Re: Planning for 0.8.2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Planning for 0.8.2
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:33:40 +0200

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> It’s about time to prepare for 0.8.2.  Here’s what I think should be
> completed by then:
>
>   • ‘wip-build-systems-gexp’ merged in ‘core-updates’, although if that
>     turns out to involve more work than expected, I’m happy to delay it
>     until the next release.

This is postponed until after the release.

>   • New phase to validate NEEDED against RUNPATH (see
>     <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20039#11>; we're
>     almost there.)
>
>   • ‘guix publish’ merged in (I think it's ready now, right?)
>
>   • ‘guix import hackage’ and ‘haskell-build-system’.
>
>   • LibreOffice (anyone?), Hydra(?).

All of this is OK, except LibreOffice.

>   • Addressing the bug reports that have accumulated since the last
>     release.  Many are packaging and usability issues that are easily
>     addressed, I think.  I invite everyone to look at them.  A bug fix a
>     day, keeps the doctor away!

There are still some left, notably newly introduced ones.  :-)

For those I’ve just reopened core-updates with the intent of freezing it
in a couple of days or so.  The changes should be limited to:

  1. ld-wrapper bugs fixed (just pushed);

  2. libstdc++ not having libgcc_s in its RUNPATH (bug #20358);

  3. #:validate-runpath? turned on by default for all the build systems
     (currently it’s only gnu-build-system); more broken packages will
     become apparent as a result;

  4. libc’s own message catalogs are installed (just pushed).

I think Eric has a small Perl patch that would be welcome, but that’s
about it.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.