guix-devel

Re: updating list of substitutes

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: updating list of substitutes
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:38:52 +0200

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 02:02:37PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 12:02:16PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > ls /var/guix/profiles/per-user/wrk/guix-profile-2-link/bin/ruby
> >   /var/guix/profiles/per-user/wrk/guix-profile-2-link/bin/ruby ->
> > /gnu/store/gy1dnlh6qhwd40admi3b1mr4r9cn8bww-ruby-2.2.1/bin/ruby
> >
> > A few days later I install ruby-1.8.7 followed by
> > guix package -i ruby-2.2.1
> > The following package will be upgraded:
> >    ruby 1.8.7-p374 -> 2.2.1
> > /gnu/store/z8kf6hgln4a7xf68pdnlibl3vcg5rl15-ruby-2.2.1
>
> But I suppose that in between, you also did a "git pull; make install" or
> "guix pull"? Then it is clear that if you have a different version of guix
> installed, it references different packages.

I don't think so, but I am not 100% sure I did not do a guix pull in
between. I'll show it if it happens again.

> This is not very different from installing different versions of other
> distributions, except that with our public git repository, we enable rolling
> releases with frequent changes.

Which is great. But we need reproducibility too which is tied with a
release that gets updated by pull. Are the releases visibly numbered?
Can we pull a release?

That means updating the substitute list is independent of the
dependencies.  Why do we download it almost every time?

Pj.