guix-devel

Re: Codefest 2014 Cambridge, MA

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: Codefest 2014 Cambridge, MA
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:48:28 -0400

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 09:09:22AM -0400, David Thompson wrote:
>> I live in Somerville.  I might be able to join in on the 9th, but I'm
>> busy on the 10th.n
>
> That would be great! Also for some advocacy.

:)

>> Could you elaborate more on how Guix relates to this event?
>
> For biomedical and biological purposes, Cloudbiolinux packages
> software. Mostly .deb, homebrew and ad hoc scripts. I have been a Nix
> fan for a long time and I think Guix is just the right way forward
> (Nix expressions are somehow a little too foreign for many people, I
> have found).

Oh, neat.  Yes, I find that using a general purpose language like Guile
is much better than inventing a special language.

> It would make sense to move some of the Cloudbiolinux related
> packaging to Guix. There will be quite a few good people who are
> working on software deployment, so please hop over if you can! There
> are 50-60 programmers coming to the hackathon.

Since it's a Wednesday, I'll be working at the FSF office during the
day.  Does the hackathon continue into the night?  If I can be useful, I
can try to join in after work.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org