guix-devel

Re: What for 0.5?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What for 0.5?
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:19:26 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>> I think we should aim for a 0.5 release within 2 to 4 weeks.  So, what
>> do we put in there?
>>
>> We already have nice things:
>>
>>   • Better patch handling.
>>
>>   • MIPS/N32 port.
>>
>>   • Monads, and other API improvements.
>>
>> In addition, I think we should:
>>
>>   • Switch to GCC 4.8 as the default compiler, and thus rebuild the
>>     bootstrap binaries; optionally, arrange so that those bootstrap
>>     binaries are the fixed point.
>>
>>   • Merge the ‘loongson’ branch in ‘core-updates’.
>>
>>   • Come up with a new VM demo image, with a better (gnu system) API,
>>     and using a new dmd release (more on that later).
>>
>>   • More packages, ideally in the GUI/desktop area (you can help! :-)).
>>
>> What do you think?  Anything else?
>
> I think we now have most of what we wanted, so it’s now reasonable to
> aim for a release within 1 week.  I’ll spend most of that time on the VM
> image, and looking at open bugs.  Help welcome!

So weeks take a bit more than 7 days it seems, but we’re getting there!
I’ve worked on the (gnu system) module, now used to build the VM image,
so I think the important pieces are in place (I’ll write about it.)

I’d like to release this Wednesday, so please do not push anything that
triggers big rebuilds until then.

However, it’s still time to look at <http://bugs.gnu.org/guix>.  :-)

Ludo’.