guile-user

Re: Weird behavior of hash-table

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Weird behavior of hash-table
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 09:57:57 +0100

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 03:04:36AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi Zelphir,
>
> Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've noticed a strange behavior of hash tables [...]

> > (define SQUARES
> >   ;; vector, constant time access
> >   #('A1 'B1 'C1 'D1 'E1 'F1 'G1 'H1
[...]

> I guess that you meant for this to be a vector of symbols.  In fact, it
> is a vector of lists of the form (quote <symbol>), for which '<symbol>
> is a shorthand.
>
>   scheme@(guile-user)> (vector-ref SQUARES 0)
>   $10 = (quote A1)

Yikes. I'd fall into this trap, too. Thanks you both for illustrating
it so well -- and thanks, Mark, for your unfailing sharp vision :-)

So the best thing for one's brain is to train it to read #(...)
as some weird relative of '(...)?

Is there a corresponding weird relative of `(...)?

Cheers
-- tomás