guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:34:44 -0400

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals

Monday, April 29, 2002 Issue 32   VOLUME 2 ISSUE 9
WELCOME
http://www.fita.org

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals. This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources database at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at www.fita.org, an excellent source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 4,000+ sites related to international trade.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web sites for businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international trade, using my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international businesspeople, and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

If you'd like to search back issues of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, there's a search page at http://fita.org/useful/search.html.

If you are reading this because it was forwarded to you by a colleague and want to subscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the Subscriptions section or simply click here, enter your email address and click on "add."

If you wish to unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the Subscriptions section or simply click here, enter your email address and click on "remove."

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

Here they are:

STATISTICS SOURCES
http://www.rba.co.uk/sources/stats.htm

Mention the word "statistics" to many people (me included) and you'll probably get a yawn in response. However, as I've said here before, statistics-oriented Web sites can be pretty interesting places to visit. Take Statistics Sources at www.rba.co.uk/sources/stats.htm. This site has links to hundreds of sites where you can look up reliable statistics on things like international population and economic data, trade statistics, newspaper and magazine circulation figures, the latest numbers on e-commerce, and much more. Follow the link to the Business Information Home Page at www.rba.co.uk/sources/index.htm and you'll find a rich lode of information about companies, countries, currencies, news reports, market research, and probably some categories you didn't even know existed. One of the best things about this site is that it's updated frequently (statistics and fish are two things that are better when fresh), and it gives you capsule reviews of each link.

SEARCHING THE INTERNET EFFECTIVELY
http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/searching/

Even old pros like me can learn something from Searching the Internet Effectively at www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/searching, and online course that will help you cut your research time with its helpful tips. For instance, I found a search engine mentioned that I had never heard of -- ANZWERS at www.anzwers.com.au, a search engine for Australia and New Zealand.

OUR FEATURED COUNTRY SITE OF THE WEEK -- GUIDE TO AUSTRALIA
http://www.csu.edu.au/australia

Speaking of the land of Oz, I found a good portal to Down Under at Guide to Australia at www.csu.edu.au/australia, Charles Sturt University's gateway to all things Australian. Here you'll discover information about Australia's geography, culture, trade & commerce, science & education, economy, attractions, and much more. From here I found a link to BusinessJeeves Australia at au.businessjeeves.com, which had a lot of useful business information.

There are lots more links to these countries at the FITA site. Go to FITA's International Trade Web Resources at www.fita.org/webindex, click on Regional Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column or "Search by Country or Region" in the right column, and then scroll down to Australia, New Zealand and Oceania. Or simply type "Australia" in the search box at www.fita.org.

EASIER, FASTER, LESS EXPENSIVE INTERNATIONAL PAYMENTS
http://www.pb.com/cgi-bin/pb.dll/payment...

Do you need an easier, faster, less expensive way for your Business to send wire transfers and drafts outside of the U.S.? If so, FITA and Pitney Bowes have the perfect solution for you! Through Pitney Bowes International Payments, you can initiate payments on-line, over the phone and by fax into more than 50 currencies. And you can use your current business bank account. New customers get a 90 day free trial with no transaction charges on foreign currency payments. In addition, FITA newsletter subscribers receive $25 after making the first payment in a foreign currency!! To enroll or for more information, click here.

STORMY WEATHER
http://www.educationcentral.org/stormy

Here's a great site for students, teachers, or anyone who's interested in learning more about the weather. Stormy Weather at www.educationcentral.org/stormy is all about storms and how they impact our world. It has tons of resources to help you understand weather systems and how they behave. You can learn about tropical storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, and other violent weather events, get a tutorial in how to read weather maps, track a "sample storm", and find lots of other learning activities.

For archived issues of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, click on http://fita.org/useful/archives.html.

Archive
Issue 31
April 14, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 8
Issue 30
April 1, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 7
Issue 29
March 19, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 6
Issue 28
March 4, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 5

[MORE]
   Click on a past issue number to see its content. Click on "MORE" to see all past issues.

 Are there topics you'd like to see covered in FITA'S Really Useful Sites?
 Send suggestions, ideas, or comments to editor John McDonnell at
address@hidden.