guile-sources

Really Useful Sites For International Trade Professionals

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites For International Trade Professionals
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:09:07 -0500

To view this newsletter in full-color, click here:
http://www.imakenews.com/fita/index000013471.cfm?x=80017,64230

REALLY USEFUL SITES FOR INTERNATIONAL TRADE PROFESSIONALS
March 19, 2002
VOLUME 2 Issue 6

IN THIS ISSUE
1. WELCOME
2. WHAT CAN YOU DO ON THE WEB?
3. LIBRARY OF CONGRESS COUNTRY STUDIES
4. OUR FEATURED REGIONAL SITE -- SHOWCASE EUROPE
5. MAKE TRANSLATION  WORK FOR YOU
6. ARTS & LETTERS DAILY

WELCOME

 Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for
International Trade Professionals. This free bi-weekly
newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources
database at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at
http://fita.org, an excellent source for trade leads, news, events,
and a link library of 4,000+ sites related to international trade.

 If you wish to unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page to
the Subscriptions section or simply click here [
http://www.imakenews.com/fita/index.cfm#subscribe ], enter your
email address and click on "remove."

 If you are reading this because it was forwarded to you by a
colleague and want to subscribe, go to the bottom of this page
to the Subscriptions section or simply click here [
http://www.imakenews.com/fita/index.cfm#subscribe ], enter your
email address and click on "add."

 Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

 My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing
about useful Web sites for businesspeople, in various
publications. Now I've focused on international trade, using my
Web research skills to find sites that are useful for
international businesspeople, and some sites that are just plain
fun for anyone.

 Here they are:

WHAT CAN YOU DO ON THE WEB?

Although people talk about "browsing" the Web, most of us don't
have time to browse when we get online; we want to find what
we're looking for as fast as possible. That's a shame, though,
because the Web was made for browsing. There is so much useful
information online that it's fun to just poke around and see
what surprises you can turn up. Here's a great site for doing
that. It's called What Can You Do On The World Wide Web? at
http://it.stlawu.edu/~tdil/index1.htm, and it's a collection of links
to sites that you'll find compelling. Want to buy a theater
ticket? Calculate how tall your child is going to be? Ask a
doctor a medical question? Find a restaurant? Learn how to write
a business plan? Schedule a wake up call? Take a tutorial on how
to show your wife some romance? (I flunked that one.) You'll
find answers to all those questions and many more at this
fascinating site.

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS COUNTRY STUDIES

When I help my kids with their geography homework I realize that
dozens of countries I learned about in school aren't there
anymore. Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, East Germany -- my kids
don't know they ever existed. Well, I found a place where you
can still read about these countries. At the U.S. Library of
Congress Country Studies at http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/cshome.html
page you can just scroll down the list and find information about
hundreds of countries worldwide. The site keeps information on countries
like Yugoslavia for "historical value to researchers", but there's
also lots of information about existing countries. Click on a
country name, and you'll find detailed information about its
history, demographics, economy, political life, transportation &
communications networks, and much more.

Are your prospects part of the international trade community? If
so, here's an opportunity to showcase your service or product to
50,000 subscribers of Really Useful Sites for the International
Trade Professional. FITA now offers limited sponsorship
opportunities to selected organizations. For information, please
contact Barney Lehrer, Director of eCommerce Development at
address@hidden or 1-800-969-FITA extension 4.

OUR FEATURED REGIONAL SITE -- SHOWCASE EUROPE

Let's say you're thinking of selling a vitamin product in
Belgium. You'd need to find out if there's a demand for your
type of product in Belgium, plus the governmental regulations
for foreign companies selling there, and you'd probably have
other questions too. One good way to get answers is to go to the
U.S. Department of Commerce's Showcase Europe at
http://www.sce.doc.gov site. Here you'll find market research for
all the countries of Europe. You can search by country or by industry,
and there's also a calendar of trade shows and other events. This site
is for both U.S. companies who want to export to Europe, and European companies
who want to import U.S. products.

There are lots more links to these countries at the FITA site.
Go to FITA's International Trade Web Resources at http://www.fita.org/webindex,
click on Regional Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in
the left column or "Search by Country or Region" in the right
column, and then scroll down to Europe. Or simply type "Europe"
in the search box at http://www.fita.org.

MAKE TRANSLATION  WORK FOR YOU

Do you need web site and document translation services focused
on the Latin American and U.S. Hispanic markets? If so, FITA and
iSpeak have the perfect solution for you! Trust your translation
to us and you will receive the highest quality product, along
with special FITA prices, discounts and referral fees. What else
do you receive? iSpeak offers the largest resources for
English-Spanish-Portuguese translation and localization projects
with over 1200+ linguists mastering 25 Spanish and Portuguese
dialects in 20+ categories, a customized project management team
and...a 100% quality satisfaction guarantee. There is no risk to
you so why wait? Click here
( http://www.fita.org/marketplace/ispeak.html ) to register your
translation project now.

ARTS & LETTERS DAILY

Continuing the theme of Web browsing, I found a site where you
can spend hours just following links. It's called Arts & Letters
Daily at http://www.aldaily.com, and although it may look like a
site for pointy-headed intellectuals, it's got something for
everyone. There are links to thought-provoking stories from world
magazines, newspapers, and journals, plus links to online news
sources, columnists of note, book reviews, online music sites,
reference sources, fun sites (bad writing contests, etc.), and
more. Each item on this site has been selected with care, and
you're guaranteed to find some stimulating reading here.

For archived issues of Really Useful Sites for the International
Trade Professional, click on http://fita.org/useful/archives.html.

 For a free list of links to useful sites in a wide variety of
categories (both business and personal), visit my Web site at
http://www.reallyusefulsites.org.

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
(mailto:address@hidden)
Copyright © 2002 The Federation of International Trade Associations. All
rights reserved.

Are there topics you'd like to see covered in FITA'S Really
Useful Sites? Send suggestions, ideas, or comments to editor John
McDonnell at address@hidden

This newsletter is distributed by the Federation of
International Trade Associations (FITA) for the benefit of the
worldwide international trade community. If you have a question
regarding this service, please contact FITA by email at address@hidden