guile-reader-devel

Re: confinement's read-hash-extend gives 'unknown number radix' for all

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: confinement's read-hash-extend gives 'unknown number radix' for all tagged forms
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 00:33:02 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> It seems that the problem is that Guile-Reader’s ‘read-hash-extend’
> appends hash extensions, whereas Guile’s prepends them.  See
> confinement.scm:
>
>   (set! sharp-specs
>         ;; Append the module's hash extensions.  Warning: no attempt is
>         ;; made to avoid conflicts.
>         (append (map (lambda (chr+proc)
>                        (make-token-reader (car chr+proc)
>                                           (lambda (chr port read top)
>                                             (apply (cdr chr+proc)
>                                                    (list chr port)))))
>                      (ensure-reader-hash-extensions module))
>                 sharp-specs))
>
> Consequently, the default behavior for #e kicks in, and that invokes the
> “token reader” for numbers.

Exactly, I came to the same conclusion after your hints on IRC. Thanks
for looking into this.

> We could change the code above to prepend.

I think it makes sense if you want Guile-Reader’s ‘read-hash-extend’ to
be a drop-in replacement.

Is this a request for a patch from me, or simply asking about
my thoughts before you do what needs doing?

Thanks!
- Jelle