Re: Numbers in library names

From: Lassi Kortela
Subject: Re: Numbers in library names
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 19:12:16 +0300

I haven’t received the e-mail you are responding too (in particular, I don’t know who you are responding to), but …

I was talking to Marc; it seems there is a delay in list traffic.

As already has been answered:

The practical harm is (srfi |1|) is non-standard, but it looks standard because it contains ‘srfi’, so if someone were to type (srfi |1|) in their Scheme implementation and it gets automatically mapped to (srfi 1), then it appears to work, hence misleading the writer into thinking that (srfi |1|) is standard.

(For the same reason, Guile doing (srfi srfi-1) is problematic. It’s not just there for compatibility, it’s the main way of importing SRFI things.)

If (srfi |1|) were to be standardised via SRFI process or RnRS (maybe implicitly as a ‘module names equality is to be done modulo number/symbol conversions’ thing in a future R8RS), then (srfi |1|) would be fine, but such a thing.

Fair enough. Good points.

I'm in favor of defining such a rule via SRFI and/or RnRS.

This has already been answered.

The practical difference, IIUC, is that esoteric point (IIUC, different lexical context stuff). If you misinterpret the esoteric stuff, then your library/program/... might not work properly, which is a practical concern.

(More precisely: lexical context of library name not necessarily the same as context of a name part.)
The issue was whether to take the first part or the last part of the library name. (The spec would stipulate that this part has to be an identifier.) I ahve the impression that every part of the same name has an equally useful lexical context.