Re: Modernizing autotools and assuming C89 C library

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Modernizing autotools and assuming C89 C library
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 22:27:48 +0200

Hi Mike,

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> skribis:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 10:20:26PM -0700, Mike Gran wrote:
>> Hello Guile Devel,
>>
>> I pushed a git branch: wip-modernize-autotools.
>>
>> It removes some obsolete tests by presuming we at least have a
>> C89-compliant C library. It also uses LT_INIT for libtool, and removes
>> some macros that autoconf has deprecated.

Sounds good!

> I know patches like this are unlikely to spark enthusiasm
> or review because it is autotools, but, I think presuming a C89
> C library is a safe bet.

No no, I actually find it quite exciting!  :-)

Seriously, it’s good to see old cruft vanish.  I’ve looked at the
commits on that branch and they all LGTM.

Regarding <time.h>, we’ve actually been using Gnulib’s headers, so most
likely the difference wasn’t relevant anymore.

So: LGTM!

It would be good to have some testing on OSes other than GNU/Linux
eventually (I’m looking at you, Greg ;-)).

Thanks,
Ludo’.