Re: mmap for guile

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: mmap for guile
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 15:34:54 +0200

Ludovic Courtès schreef op ma 04-07-2022 om 12:09 [+0200]:
> > Also, what if you mmap a region, use bytevector->pointer and pass
> > it to
> > some C thing, which saves the pointer somewhere where boehm-gc can
> > find
> > it and boehm-gc considers it to be live, is there something that
> > prevents boehm-gc from improperly calling the finalizer & unmapping
> > the
> > region, causing a dangling pointer?
>
> There’s a risk, but I don’t think it’s specific to mmap.

AFAIK, make-bytevector doesn't have an issue here, so by default I
would assume mmap to not have it either, unless documented otherwise.
However, I am not seeing tests or analysis that verify there's no issue
here even though plausibly there might be an issue and neither am I
seeing documentation that this doesn't work (for mmap in specific, or
more generally).

Greetings,
Maxime.