Re: (web server) serving on both ipv6 and ipv4?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: (web server) serving on both ipv6 and ipv4?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 08:24:10 +0100

Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Signature made by expired key 1FDA7AE8098ED60E Gregory D.
> Troxel (low security, at work) <gdt@work.lexort.com>]]
>
> Maxime Devos <maximedevos@telenet.be> writes:
>
>> Maybe the IPV6_V6ONLY (see the ipv6(7) man page) is relevant here.
>> Alternatively, you could run two servers in parallel: one bound to an
>> IPv4 address and another bound to an IPv6 address.
>
> My feeling is that IPV6_ONLY is best avoided, for portability, and
> because mapped addresses (an IPv6 address with the v4 address embedded)
> are awkward.    So I think it's best to listen on v4 and v6 separately.

I see portability, but for simplicity and having the same codebase, I
think that IPV6_V6ONLY=0 is the right choice.

It is possible to listen both on v6 and v4 for the same port, but you’ll
then have more complexity — I’m mainly thinking about tutorials here:
You’ll have to explain a lot more if you have to take care of v6 vs. v4
instead of having a library that does both.

An alternative could be a server using the fiberized web server to be
able to tie efficiently into the rest of the code via a plain fibers
channel.

Best wishes,
Arne
--