Re: Maintenance and future of Guile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Maintenance and future of Guile
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:20:55 +0100

Hello Guilers,

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> skribis:

> I see a number of similar cases on the mailing list.
>
> I understand the cost of reviewing and I know that
> nobody is entitled to anything in the free software
> world. However, I would like to voice the concern that
> Guile's maintenance is not scaling, and the project
> cannot attract new contributors if patches do not
> make it to the main branch. If the current maintainers
> need to drop their activity, it would be nice if
> they could share maintainership so that at least
> bug fixes can be applied.

I agree and I apologize for the unpleasant situation: it’s clear that I
haven’t been up to the task for several years already.  I’ll discuss
with Andy how I can formally leave the seat to someone with more energy,
whom I’ll be happy to help learn practices and conventions.

If someone is interested, please get in touch with us!

While Andy focuses on major improvements to the compiler and VM with a
long-term vision, I think it would be great to also have people on the
maintainer team focusing on more day-to-day operations: incremental
improvements, bug fixes, etc.  I think we’re lucky that there’ve been a
number of talented contributors chiming in over the last couple of
years; let’s take advantage of this, at last!

Thanks,
Ludo’.