Guile 3 and wip-elisp/Emacs

From: Gregg Sangster
Subject: Guile 3 and wip-elisp/Emacs
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 17:09:45 +0200

Hello Guile Hackers,

I've rebased the wip-elisp branch on top of commit
449f50dd84a081aea16ef678e32bf37abe429ff6 (git describe: v3.0.4-64-g33232cb5c4).
 It's published here:

https://git.sr.ht/~g20r/guile

There are two additional failed tests which appear to be new tests added since
the last work on the wip-elisp branch.  Also, ./configure requires the
--disable-jit option as the build fails otherwise.  I have not yet investigated
any of these issues.

I don't have much experience with Guile itself or the Guile codebase.  The next
commit has a conflict I was not able to resolve: that's why it's not rebased
all the way up to the tip of main.  My next tasks are to get the current Guile
Emacs running on this version of Guile followed by fixing the JIT build
failure, rebasing this to the tip of main and rebasing Guile Emacs on a more
recent Emacs (I believe it is currently v24.something).

My question is if this is worthwhile work?  I don't have much time to spend on
it but am happy to keep hacking away if there's still upstream interest.

--
Gregg