Re: thoughts on targetting the web

From: Maxime Devos
Subject: Re: thoughts on targetting the web
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 12:02:43 +0200

Andy Wingo schreef op za 19-06-2021 om 22:20 [+0200]:
>  5. Garbage collection.  *We should re-use the host GC*.  Although it
>     would be possible to manage a heap in linear memory, that has
>     retention problems due to cycles between the Guile heap and the JS
>     heap.

I could be mistaken (and I haven't written any ECMAScript in a long time),
but I believe ECMAScript doesn't have guardians, gc hooks, weak vectors and
(key, value, key-value) weak hash tables. So, if we re-use the host GC,
that would mean those GC things cannot be used right?

In that case, it may be a good idea to raise an error at compile time
if some code tries to use these anyways. (I've been using guardians
and weak vectors lately.)

Greetings,
Maxime