Re: Guile 1.8.9 release

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Guile 1.8.9 release
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 17:17:59 -0500

() Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com>
() Tue, 9 Feb 2021 09:59:07 +0100

   > Thanks. It turns out my previous fix introduced ABI
   > breakage, so I reworked it to not change function
   > signatures or struct sizes. It's also split up in more
   > parts, so it becomes easier to understand.  Please see
   > here: [...]

   Any news here? Can I do anything to get this fix in?

IIUC, the second iteration achieves the same goals as the first
one (i.e., reducing unnecessary allocation by refining the heap
monitoring machinery).  Is that correct?  (What am i missing?)

I would be happy to commit the second patch, if you could refine
it to add the extensive explanation of the first.  (You could
even mention the first approach, as an interesting but misguided
dead end.)  That way, we have a full record.

I would be extremely happy to commit a test along w/ the change,
if we can figure that out.  But it's not critical (we can do it
later).

Re testing, i don't know how to go about setting up a test to
avoid regressions.  (IIUC, this is a performance-related change
and not a functionality-related one.)  Any ideas?

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2021) Software Libero