Re: [Patch] Support HTTP/2 in HTTP client

From: Derek Upham
Subject: Re: [Patch] Support HTTP/2 in HTTP client
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 16:39:38 +0200 (CEST)

Okay, I figured it out. In that particular chunk of code I was calling out to Curl to do the heavy lifting: “(run/port (curl --silent --head ,source-url))”. Curl negotiates HTTP/2 and dumps the header information:

HTTP/2 200 date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 14:22:37 GMT
 content-type: audio/mpeg
 content-length: 31411830

The code then passed the response port to the existing “read-response” function in the web/response module, to turn this text into data objects.

That means this isn’t a “support HTTP/2 connections” change, it’s just a “support parsing HTTP/2 responses” change.

However, sometime during all of this I figured out how to get the system-installed extensions working with my personal build of Guile, so the TLS extension now works and I can cut Curl out of this code and just use “http-head”. We can drop this patch.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Upham <address@hidden> writes:

I made this particular tweak because Guile 2.2’s HTTP/1.1 client requests were getting back an HTTP/2 response from a podcast server, and choking. (The use of Google’s URL was just an example to show the format of the HTTP response header.) Let’s drop the patch for now. I’ll try disabling it locally and see whether I can still reproduce it. Given the amount of redirects that media website backends do, it’s possible that I’ll never come across the problem again.

Derek

Tristan Colgate <address@hidden> writes:

http/2 is a substantially different protocol, it will take
considerable effort to support it, guile's client should only be
offering http/1.1 to the server.