Re: Replace ltdl with GLib's GModule

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Replace ltdl with GLib's GModule
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 13:01:38 +0100

Hello!

Mike Gran <address@hidden> skribis:

> In a fit of pique, I pushed a new branch of Guile to the repo
> called wip-replace-ltdl-with-gmodule.  It replaces the dynamic linking
> library libltdl from libtool with the analagous library GModule
> from GLib.  It was remarkably easy, and, after a cursory test
> I was surprised to find that it seems to be working.
>
> GModule itself is a standalone library, but, I think it depends
> on GLib.  It might be possible to remove that dependency without
> much difficulty, but unfortunately, then you would be left with
> another library to maintain.

Fun!

I’m very much tired of “file not found” :-), but I don’t think Guile
should depend on GLib, which is quite big.

I think we should either fix ltdl (probably less work than porting Guile
to GModule, but also less exciting) or have a very basic wrapper around
dlopen instead of using ltdl (I think Andy had made experiments in that
direction.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.