Re: Segfault while building on 64-bit Cygwin

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Segfault while building on 64-bit Cygwin
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2020 11:53:10 +0100

On Mon 20 Jan 2020 18:22, Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:38:35AM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>> Yes, gladly, but I don't know how to get one in this context.  Do I need to
>> add some flags to the Makefile, and if so, where?  (It's a twisty maze of
>> passages, all different.) . Note that this *is* a build with JIT enabled;
>> when I disable it using the env variable, there are no errors and 3.0.0
>> works fine.
>>
>> Also, it may take some time, as I have to rebuild my Windows system.
>
> I also tried building Guile 3.0.0 on Cygwin 3.1.x.  The failure comes from
> trying to parse compiled .go files.
>
> The last time that I had this sort of problem, it was because the
> O_BINARY flag was dropped or missing when writing .go files, leading
> to CR+LF characters in the compiled files.  And I diagnosed it by
> byte-comparing Linux-compiled .go files with Cygwin-compiled .go
> files, and by looking for CR+LF combinations in the compiled .go
> files.
>
> I don't know if that is what is happening here, but, I'll check that
> next time I have a chance.

Given that John said that compilation went fine with
GUILE_JIT_THRESHOLD=-1, I think perhaps this problem may have been fixed
in the past.  My suspicions are that this issue is an ABI issue with
lightening that could perhaps be reproduced by:

  git co https://gitlab.com/wingo/lightening
  cd lightening
  make -C tests test-native

Of course any additional confirmation is useful and welcome!

Cheers,

Andy