Re: garbage collection slowdown

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: garbage collection slowdown
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2020 10:34:32 +0100

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:41 PM Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> Unfortunately, it looks like the adoption of the BDW GC library caused
> a ~6x slowdown, causing an overall end-to-end slowdown of 50%.
>
> I was wondering if you folks would have tips to further tune GC for
> wall-time speed, and if there additional diagnostics to see if we're
> doing something extraordinarily silly.

For the record, I managed to solve this, by scaling up the heap more
aggressively. See
https://codereview.appspot.com/561390043/diff/557260051/lily/score-engraver.cc

Ironically, this is the same problem scenario that led me to
refactoring the GUILE GC in ~2002, in
c8a1bdc460f892847d0fb3f1321cdeb305160bf8.