Re: unhandled constant?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: unhandled constant?
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:49:00 +0100

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 9:05 AM Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:

> [guile1.8]$ grep -ir define-syntax-rule .
>
> (empty)
>
> I  need something that works in GUILE 1.8 too.
>
> this is what I got from David Kastrup:
>
> >Got any comments about macros being sooo yesterday compared to syntax
> forms?  Syntax forms actually don't work in LilyPond: there was an
> incompatibility because the 1.8 implementation will balk if some symbol
> used in syntax forms already has a definition, and we have that.  I
> forgot the exact symbol at fault.  I think it was some music function
> name.
>
> Would there be a way that we can use our source code unchanged with GUILE 2.2?
>
> Can you explain why I get this error message?

Also, how is it possible that, when disabling auto-compilation, the
whole thing works?

$ GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 guile2.2 q.scm
((var foo 1))

is there an evaluator in GUILE that is separate from the bytecode VM,
and if so, is this evaluator guaranteed to be supported in upcoming
versions of GUILE? Does the evalation without auto-compilation benefit
from JIT treatment?

If I want to explore this myself, how do I hack on GUILE itself?
Compiling GUILE from scratch takes more than an hour for me. I assume
there must be a faster way to experiment, but what is that? It looks
like the HACKING file is out of date.