Re: garbage collection slowdown

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: garbage collection slowdown
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 08:17:11 +0100

(please CC replies directly to me; I am not on the guile-devel list.)

Arne mentioned

>This might be the read-function which is slower in 2.2. You might want
>to try to go directly to Guile 3, in which the read function should be
>on par with the read in 1.8.

I'd rather avoid making a jump to GUILE 3, as it's not in distributionsn yet.

Just to be extra clear: if I instrument Lily with

 (begin
   (display "gc time taken: ")
   (display (* 1.0 (/ (cdr (assoc 'gc-time-taken (gc-stats)))
internal-time-units-per-second)))
   (display "\n")))

this number increases from 0.3 to 1.7. Parsing and compiling the .scm
files  in our distribution has a GC overhead of 0.3 by itself on GUILE
2.2

The release notes for 2.0 say that

  "Switch to the Boehm-Demers-Weiser garbage collector .. It also
improves performance."

I am curious about the numbers that support this; can somebody point
me to them? From where I stand, it looks like a huge performance
regression.