Re: Fwd: Announcing the first stable release of guile-for-loops

From: Linus Björnstam
Subject: Re: Fwd: Announcing the first stable release of guile-for-loops
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:23:43 +0100

Yeah, when iterating through many different things at the same time it is
extremely helpful.

I would have loved syntax parse when writing the macros :) I read your for
loops code in awe, at least until I saw how you "cheated" with set! :-P

My only chance of getting it into guile proper would be to 1. Make a SRFI and
survive the SRFI process with my honour intact and 2. Code cleanup. Most of
for/emit is OKish, but for/foldr needs to be beaten with a stick, burnt and
rewritten. "bending hygiene" doesn't quite cover what I did to make it work. In
the end I sort of kind of worked around it by making an API change, but it
still stinks. Defining a new loop using for/foldr involves having to do a
syntax->datum->syntax. No fun. I could check how racket does it, but given they
can do syntax-local-introduce (which is specific to their "hygiene as sets of
scopes") I suspect I am out of luck.

Väl mött
  Linus Björnstam