Re: GNU Guile 2.9.9 Released [beta]

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.9.9 Released [beta]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 21:54:02 +0100

On Tue 14 Jan 2020 17:03, Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm... it seems like both Stefan and you have interpreted my post
> exactly the opposite way compared to how it was meant. :)

Hah!  My apologies :)

> What I wanted to say is that I probably prefer you to *reverse* the
> recent patch because I prefer to have good optimization also when
> procedures are referenced by value in more than one non-operator
> position. I prefer this over having (eq? p p) => #t for the reasons I
> stated.

I understand this also!  However what Stefan is saying echoes what I've
heard from other people.  There are some cases where eta-converting all
lexical procedure references helps nobody -- it makes (eqv? p p) be
false in places where many people expect it would be true, without
enabling significant optimizations.  In that case, the choice is pretty
clear.  But if there are significant optimizations left on the table, I
would hesitate a lot before chasing an ideal of procedure identity in
cases where the procedure's behavior cannot possibly differ.  Anyway
that's not where we are currently, thankfully!

Cheers,

Andy