Re: Removing the locale warning?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Removing the locale warning?
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:06:20 +0100

Hi,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sat 14 Dec 2019 16:44, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What about getting rid of the locale warning?
>>
>> More generally, I'm in favor of reducing run-time warnings to a bare
>> minimum, because application users often don’t care about them (plus
>> they’re not i18n’d), and because application developers cannot silence
>> them or handle them in a way that is more suitable for the application.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Funny, I find them really useful as they let me know when my environment
> isn't correctly configured, so I can then take action.

Oh, I see.

> How can we resolve these two use cases?

Not sure.  Guix does an extra ‘setlocale’ call and prints a
user-friendly and Guix-specific message when the locale is unavailable:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/ui.scm#n457

As an application developer, I feel that it’s the application’s job to
pay attention to that (when it matters) and it bothers me that libguile
prints its own warning (not i18n’d, not controllable, etc.), just like
it would bother me if libc were emitting such a warning.

Perhaps the REPL and the ‘guild’ script could emit such a warning, while
libguile itself would remain silent?

(I know that Perl and Bash emit a warning when ‘setlocale’ fails, while
Python doesn’t.  As for applications, I’ve seen all sorts of behaviors
ranging from silently ignoring the issue (Coreutils, sed, grep, Git,
etc.) to showing a popup window (Gramps) to emitting a warning (most
GTK+ programs).)

Thoughts?

Ludo’.