Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 17:20:37 +0100

Greets :)

On Thu 31 Oct 2019 01:01, Chris Vine <address@hidden> writes:

> "Condition" is a strange word for describing structured error objects,
> I agree.  However, I think it would be quite confusing to describe
> error objects as exceptions.  "Error object" or "error condition object"
> seems a reasonable alternative if the bare word "condition" is thought
> to be inappropriate.

I'm very sympathetic to this argument -- an exception seems like a
thing-in-motion, not a thing-at-rest.  But perhaps it's just the effect
of habit, setting up expectations about what good names are.  (After
all, plenty of people seem happy with the term "condition"!)

Perhaps there is a middle ground of sorts: maybe the manual can
comprehensively describe what R6RS refers to as conditions using the
term "exception objects".  WDYT?

Andy