Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: guile 3 update, halloween edition
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 00:01:30 +0000

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 21:13:49 +0100
Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
> Also: should these structured error objects be named
> exceptions or conditions?  SRFI-35, R6RS, and R7RS say "conditions", but
> racket and my heart say "exceptions"; wdyt?

R6RS and R7RS speak of raising an exception, and handling the exception
in an exception handler, and racket uses similar language.  According to
R6RS "when an exception is raised, an object is provided that describes
the nature of the exceptional situation.  The report uses the condition
system described in library section 7.2 to describe exceptional
situations, classifying them by condition types".  However, condition
objects are optional when an exception is raised - you can just as well
use a symbol, or a symbol/string pair, for simple cases.

"Condition" is a strange word for describing structured error objects,
I agree.  However, I think it would be quite confusing to describe
error objects as exceptions.  "Error object" or "error condition object"
seems a reasonable alternative if the bare word "condition" is thought
to be inappropriate.