Guile and Mes [WAS: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile]

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Guile and Mes [WAS: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile]
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:51:41 +0200

Mark H Weaver writes:

Hi Mark,

>> I have been worrying a bit about this change because I do not see how to
>> implement it in Mes.
>
> There's a straightforward way to translate a body containing mixed
> definitions and expressions into a 'letrec*'.  It's illustrated in the
> commit log, and in the manual:
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=20535922147cd5992330962aaa5c4986563fc905
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/tree/doc/ref/api-binding.texi?id=5284b9b9c6cecc404a912acaefce2b883ac0dbba#n284

Thanks!  I really appreciate your help.  Andy found me on IRC and also
helped me with two similar suggestions.  It's great that you both have
helped take away my worries here.

Even better, these solutions got me thinking about how Mes implements
macros and Guile compatibility.  Our next big target for Mes should be
to remove define-macro support from eval_apply and load Guile's
psyntax-pp.scm.  Probably best to start playing with Guile stable-2.0
and first reduce psyntax.scm to the bare minimum, regenerate
psyntax-pp.scm and get a easier success and work from that.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com