Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 09:07:01 +0200

Mark H Weaver writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>> Before the RMS/GNU/FSF conversation started, Mark Weaver left Guile, for
>> essentially unrelated reasons.  He threatened to leave because he wished
>> to be consulted before I landed mixed definitions and expressions and
>> shipped them in the 2.9.4 release;
>
> The funny thing is, I don't actually have a strong opinion on this
> particular change.
>
> What I *do* have a strong opinion on is that you made the decision
> unilaterally, without discussion on the mailing list

I have been worrying a bit about this change because I do not see how to
implement it in Mes.  I did not speak up because I believe that our
bootstrapping efforts should not hold Guile development back.

> Ludovic and I only found out about the change after the public
> announcements had already been made.
>
> Can you understand why I consider this behavior to be dictatorial?

Yes, I can see that now.  However, having met Andy I could not have
imagined that something like that could have been his motivation.  It
would be great if we all could spend some time together.

> For what it's worth, despite our disagreements, I still sincerely
> believe that you are acting in good faith, and fighting for what you
> believe is right.  I hope that you can believe that I'm doing the same.

When you left that was pretty discouraging for me: I enjoyed and much
appreciated your recent help with the Guix bootstrap.  Thank you for
that!  I am happy you have decided to come back.

Greetings,
jannneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com