Re: make-c-struct and pointer->string

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: make-c-struct and pointer->string
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 07:38:30 -0300

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help.

> > scheme@(guile-user)> (make-c-struct (list '* '*) (list (string->pointer
> > "hello
> > ") (string->pointer "there!"))) $16 = #<pointer 0x55a3d54d54d0>
> > scheme@(guile-user)> (parse-c-struct $16 (list '* '*))
> > $17 = (#<pointer 0x55a3d5d12170> #<pointer 0x55a3d5d0a640>)
> > scheme@(guile-user)> (map pointer->string $17)
> > $18 = ("?g?գU" "`!?գU")

> The Guile manual states:

>  -- Scheme Procedure: string->pointer string [encoding]
>      Return a foreign pointer to a nul-terminated copy of STRING in the
>      given ENCODING, defaulting to the current locale encoding.  The C
>      string is freed when the returned foreign pointer becomes
>      unreachable.

> Note the last sentence.  When the returned foreign pointer (object)
> becomes unreachable, the C string is freed.  The problem here is that
> you're not keeping a reference to those foreign pointer objects.

Yes, and I was assuming that make-c-struct was holding a reference to 'its
children', including pointers.

> If you look at the code in foreign.c, specifically ...

>  'make-c-struct' copies the C pointers from those foreign pointer objects,
> but not
> not keep a reference to the objects themselves.

To me, this sounds very counter intuitive, actually, it sounds like a bug,
make-c-struct should be holding a reference to the pointers it receives: i
seems to
me that only when the c-struct itself becomes unreachable, that these pointers
could
be freed?

If I am wrong, and it seems I am (wrong), we really should think about writing
something about this in the manual (and explaining why would be nice).

Cheers,
David

ps:     in the last part of my email, I did precisely what you suggest in your
        answer, and showed that it works - if we hold a reference to these
pointers
        'by ourselves' - and asked if that was what is what was expected from
us and
        Neil Jerram to (also) find that 'very odd'